Thursday, November 22, 2012

Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup

Ingredients:


  • Dried wild mushrooms:  I've used various "blends" in the past, but for this soup there's one "must have" mushroom:  chantarelles.  I use a good handful of dried chanterelles.  This year I added about the same amount of dried porcinis.  
  • I had about 6 oz fresh shitakes that I couldn't use in time so I had stuck them in the freezer.  The texture of these mushrooms wouldn't be right, but for what I do with them they worked just fine.  Normally I use dried ones.  I pulled and ditched the tough stems.
  • You can use bone broth as a base, or just water is fine.   About 1  quart.
  • One large stalk celery, chopped
  • Handful of baby carrots, chopped.  
  • 1Tbs coarse chopped garlic (I use the toasted from a jar) . 
  • Stems (clean well!) from 2 pkgs baby portabellas.   (Make stuffed mushrooms from the caps)
  • 2c. light cream
  • Soy sauce (I like Tamari or Shoyu)
  • Thyme,  Basil

Directions:

  • Put all veggies and fresh mushrooms in water/broth, bring to boil,  turn heat to low and let simmer for an hour or so.  Longer is fine.   You pretty much wanna cook the heck out of the veggies.
  • In separate bowl reconstitute dried mushrooms.  Put in enough water to cover, add 1-2T soy sauce.  Microwave for a couple of minutes.  These will soften in an hour or so.  Alternately pour boiling water over mushrooms and let sit overnight.  
  • Get out the stick blender!  Blend all the veggies in broth and the dried mushrooms.  Toss them all together. Strain through mesh strainer.  Straining is a matter of taste/texture.  Sometimes the dried mushrooms can be a bit fiberous no matter how long you soak them.  The broth is not clear by this method, just smoother.
  • Reserve about 1-2c. broth, return the rest to pot.   I like my soup on the thicker side, but heavy cream is too rich for my blood.  YMMV.  Instead, I'll use a thickener in a small pot with the reserved broth.  I used arrowroot.  Guar gum works well too.  
  • Chop up several portabella mushrooms.  I like porties because they are very "meaty".  It's a matter of taste/texture/visual appeal ... when I'm going for pretty I scoop out the "gills" before washing and chopping.  Sautee lightly in butter in a pan.
  • Mix strained broth, about 2 cups light cream.  About 2 t. each thyme and basil -- I use dried but not ground thyme, and basil.  Add thickened broth (or use heavy cream instead).  Toss in sauteed mushrooms, add soy sauce to taste.  I don't salt this soup,I use soy instead.  It brings out the mushroom flavor!    
  • I keep this hot on a warming plate till we're ready to eat.  Stir every now and then to avoid skinning, but otherwise it melds nicely to let it warm for an hour or so.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. When are you going to post more recipes? If you ever have time, of course. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete